Alzheimer’s disease & dementia – Care and support in a COVID-19 world: An evidence update for COVID-19
Issues discussed included:
- What proportion of people with dementia have been affected by COVID-19?
- What proportion of COVID-19 deaths have occurred in people with dementia?
- What are neurologic sequelae of COVID-19?
- What is the impact of COVID-19 on people with dementia living at home or in care homes?
- How has practice changed to accommodate it?
- Is there any updated scientific literature to support decision making?
- Sood N, Simon P, Ebner P, et al. Seroprevalence of SARS-CoV-2–Specific Antibodies Among Adults in Los Angeles County, California, on April 10-11, 2020. JAMA. May 18, 2020
- Streeck H, et al. Infection fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a German community with a super-spreading event. medRxiv. May 08, 2020
- Burki. England and Wales see 20 000 excess deaths in care homes
- Graham et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection, clinical features and outcome of COVID-19 in United Kingdom nursing homes. medRxiv. May 23, 2020
- Atkins et al. Preexisting comorbidities predicting severe COVID-19 in older adults in the UK biobank community cohort. medRxiv. May 08, 2020
- Kuo et al. APOE e4 genotype predicts severe COVID-19 in the UK Biobank community cohort. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, glaa131. 26 May 2020
- Mao L, Jin H, Wang M, et al. Neurologic Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Neurol. 2020 April 10
- Helms J, Kremer S, Merdji H, et al. Neurologic Features in Severe SARS-CoV-2 Infection. N Engl J Med. 2020 April 15
- Kotfis K, Williams Roberson S, Wilson JE, Dabrowski W, Pun BT, Ely EW. COVID-19: ICU delirium management during SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Crit Care. 2020 Apr 28
- The Hospital Elder Life Program: Toolkit to provide delirium prevention strategies for patients in COVID-19 isolation
- Mao L, Jin H, Wang M, et al. Neurologic Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Neurol. April 10, 2020
- Rogers et al. Psychiatric and neuropsychiatric presentations associated with severe coronavirus infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis with comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic. May 18, 2020
- Bianchetti, A., Rozzini, R., Guerini, F. et al. Clinical Presentation of COVID19 in Dementia Patients. J Nutr Health Aging. May 15, 2020
- Brooks et al. The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. Feb 26, 2020
- Wang et al. Dementia care during COVID-19. March 30, 2020
Our Dementia COVID-19 webinars are available on SoundCloud:
SpeakersProf Iracema Leroi
Associate Professor of Geriatric Psychiatry, Trinity College Dublin & Faculty, GBHI Dr Clara Domínguez Vivero
Clinical Neurologist, Galician Health Service, Ponetevedra, Spain, Atlantic Fellow in Equity for Brain Health, GBHI Dr Joseph Kane
Academic Clinical Lecturer, Queen’s University Belfast Dr Yaohua Chen
Neurologist, Geriatrician, Atlantic Fellow in Equity for Brain Health, GBHI
Promoting prevention, supporting management
Led by proactive clinicians determined to see improvement in the way we prevent, diagnose and manage dementias, Dementia Academy supports healthcare professionals with the latest tools, resources and courses to do just that.