Royal Free Neurorehabilitation Center MS coffee mornings: a novel approach to meeting the needs of people with progressive MS
To provide people with progressive MS with a local forum where they can access specialist advice and peer support
The team launched a monthly coffee morning to support people with progressive MS to self-manage their condition in February 2019.
The events provide people with the opportunity to discuss issues with each other, experts, and guest speakers. They also offer people an opportunity to develop a sense of belonging and shared understanding.
The first event attracted 15 people. Since then, 400 people with MS, 300 of whom have progressive disease, have attended the monthly coffee mornings. Forty people attend regularly.
- The coffee mornings proved so popular that the team had to move to a larger venue
- The number of calls to MS nurses has reduced
The poster recommends the team:
- Continue to provide the events
- Expand access to people with relapsing-remitting MS
- Include additional activities such as Pilates and yoga
- Share their findings with MS teams considering taking a similar approach
More MS Academy Comprehensive care Projects
Encouraging excellence, developing leaders, inspiring change
MS Academy was established five years ago and in that time has accomplished a huge amount. The six different levels of specialist MS training are dedicated to case-based learning and practical application of cutting edge research. Home to national programme Raising the Bar and the fantastic workstream content it is producing, this is an exciting Academy to belong to.